Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Module 4 Task Boolean Search

NOT AND OR

My previously used search term key word (netiquette) does not really apply itself to this kind of search, so I added another term - behaviour.

As the web can search so much ‘deeper’ than anything before it, a comparison to a library is accurate only to a certain degree.
I can see that by utilising the search engines and directories available there is a whole new world beyond Google!

I found the Boolean logic very interesting and wish I had known about it years ago! My searches from now on will take on a different slant.

To gain the biggest number of hits relating to these key words I would use the 'or' operator, eg search terms netiquette and behaviour (as the "more terms or concepts we combine in a search with OR logic, the more records we will retrieve." (Boolean Searching on the Internet, 2008).

For information most relevant to what I actually wanted to look for, I would use the 'not' operator, as "the NOT logic excludes records from your search results." (Boolean Searching on the Internet, 2008), but I would use it with caution.


For information coming only from university sources, I would look at known sources such as the Curtin university database Gecko, also Academic Directories such as
Academic Info or Infomine.

Search terms used Google

Netiquette OR behaviour

Results 1 - 10 of about 86,300,000 for
Netiquette OR behaviour. (0.16 seconds)


Netiquette AND behaviour

Results 1 - 10 of about 95,500 for
Netiquette AND behaviour. (0.13 seconds)

I also searched these terms using Dogpile, Intute and Librarians Internet Index.


References

Boolean Searching on the Internet. (2008). Retrieved 20 August, 2008, from http://www.internettutorials.net/boolean.html

No comments: